A Twist in Khuli Chana Mistaken Identity Case

Johannesburg-  Gauteng police say a detective from Silverton in Pretoria has been arrested for kidnapping and extortion in the case which led to the shooting of hip hop star Khuil Chana.

The musician was shot at during a joint Hawks and South African Police Service (SAPS) operation to rescue a kidnapped Bedfordview man. Chana on Monday opened a case of attempted murder against police.

He was shot in the hand and hit in the back by bullet fragments.

The Kidnapping

According to provincial police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini, a man was kidnapped in the Ekurhuleni suburb at about 8pm on Sunday night.

The victim’s family received a ransom call shortly after the kidnapping, demanding that they drop off R100 000 at the Caltex petrol station near the N1 highway in Midrand at the new off-ramp.
According to Dlamini, numerous police vehicles surrounded the station; some parked inside, while others stood guard on the off-ramp leading back to the highway.

Dlamini said the Hawks had received information indicating that the kidnapper was driving a grey BMW.

While details were sketchy on Monday morning, it is understood that the kidnapper was positively identified at the fuel station, and was arrested.

The suspect was in possession of a police ID document and an unlicensed firearm.

The kidnap victim was also rescued.

“Police have launched a manhunt for five other suspects who were involved in the kidnapping. The police officer will appear at the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court within 48 hours” said Dlamini in a statement.

Chana’s Recovery

Chana is still in shock and resting at home. His manager Refiloe Ramogase said “they almost took the life of a new father over a case of mistaken identity- before his infant daughter ever even said his name.”

The manager confirmed that Khuli Chana would be laying charges against the SAPS, and Dlamini confirmed that the Independent Police Investigative Directorate would probe the incident.

Khuli Chana’s partner and the mother of his child, who declined to be named, told The Star on Monday morning that neither of them would be speaking about the incident so as to not jeopardize the investigation.

Image Source: Wikimedia Commons