South Africa 2-0 Angola

South Africa put one foot in the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals after seeing off Angola with a convincing 2-0 win on Wednesday.

Siyabonga Sangweni and Lehlohonolo Majoro scored in either half to give the host nation their first goals of the tournament, having played out a goalless draw against Cape Verde in the opener.

The result takes Bafana Bafana top of Group A, with Morocco and Cape Verde still to contest the day's other match.

The hosts, on paper, looked promising, and on the field they showed their attacking prowess. With Dean 'Mediko' Furman bossing the midfield, Thuso Phala and Tokelo Rantie got enough supply to run the Angolan defence ragged.

Rantie in fact was fouled numerous times, winning free-kicks and getting goal side, unfortunately his finishing touch was not on target.

Kaizer Chiefs striker Bernard Parker dropped deep and had a shot at goal which lacked power, but he made up for it with his work rate and speed.

Katlego Mphela played brilliantly up front and held up the ball for Rantie.

The two combined well and looked likely to score but the finishing touch came from none other than Sangweni.

After another foul on Rantie, Phala whipped in the ball and Orlando Pirates defender Sangweni made no mistake as he struck it sweetly.

Bafana went forward with more purpose after that strike, Furman destroying Angolan attacks and frustrating Manucho, who had a few soft attempts at goal.

Rantie continued mesmerising the Angolans and was surprisingly replaced by Majoro after the break.

The substitution soon paid off though as the Kaizer Chiefs hitman netted the second goal just after the hour, ghosting past his man inside the area before fooling the keeper with a look one way, while sneaking a low drive the other, sending the ball between the shot stopper's legs.

There was no way back for the Angolans who could not handle the pace of Parker, Phala and then Majoro, who limped off with what the hosts will be hoping isn't too serious an injury.